About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Hunting for Glass

Back in October we had something heavy fall inside of our fridge.  The glass shelf/lid for the veggie bin broke into many pieces.  I never thought that finding a piece of replacement glass would be such a huge project in Italy, but it was.

This happened in October and I finally replaced the glass today.  Today....about 6 months later!

First off, the fridge is 13 years old, so no replacement parts were available.  So, I went looking for a glass business.  After several weeks of hunting - physically hunting, yellow pages, and on the internet, I came up empty.

I asked some parent friends at school, but no one was able to help me find a glass shop.

The funny thing is, I found a glass shop in Florence when we were there last month.  Unfortunately it was closed for the weekend, or I would have carried a piece of glass home with us.

This week I did another search for glass shops on the internet, this time using Googlemaps.  I found a possible  option, so I headed that way.  It was a commercial glass shop that manufactured and cut glass for large commercial projects.  They were kind enough to send me to another glass shop nearby.  I would have never found it on my own.  Like many businesses in Italy, it was located on a small alley.  The shop had no visible office or sign.  I went in and they were glad to help me.

We now have a new piece of glass in our fridge.  If anyone in Italy needs a glass shop, I now where on is!

No comments:

Post a Comment