About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reading

Today I did my usual morning volunteering at school with 4 year olds.  I'm helping them learn to read.  At the beginning of the year they would listen as I told them the stories.  Now they tell me the stories based on a few words and looking at the pictures.  A couple of them can read the entire stories to me.  It's amazing how much they grow in this 4 - 5 year old stretch.

Today each of the children shared a school project with me, one on one.  Last week they made timelines of their lives, from birth to present.   Not very long, but oh so interesting.  They were so excited to meet with me and share their 'life stories'.

I have many wonderful memories of reading with Brandon at this age.  He became an avid reader in kindergarten and excelled at it.  I always loved reading stories to him and with him.  Now that he if 9 years old going on 10 in about 3 weeks, he's much more independent.  He reads all the time, but to himself.  While I miss reading the cute bedtime stories with him, I'm proud of his love for reading.

Reading can take you anywhere and help you do anything you want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment