About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Back to Reality

Well, it's back to reality - as reality as it gets for living two years in Italy.  Guess what, while living in Italy is amazing, interesting, spectacular, beautiful and very tasty, but you still have to do laundry, dishes, cooking, go to work, go to school, fix broken appliances, etc.  I'm not complaining, not by a long shot.

I'll be the first to admit that this opportunity has been an amazing adventure of a lifetime...a dream.  What is sometimes forgotten is that this is not a 'true' vacation.  A true vacation last a few days to a few weeks for most of us.  It's a chance to get away from normal life and experience something new.  Relax.  To forget about our problems for a short while.

Living abroad for two years allows for some of the same things.  It feels like a dream vacation for two years.  Its a life changing experience that will stay with us for the rest of our lives.  On the other hand, any shortcomings, problems or issues we have in our lives don't magically disappear.  Life continues on.  If are unhappy about something in your life, it goes with you even if you live in Italy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, life is spectacular here in Italy.  I realize how lucky we are each and every day.  On the other hand, life is still very normal day to day.  We do the same things everyone else does.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.  I guess this is what is on my mind today.

So, today I did very normal things:  I did laundry, volunteered at school, watered the plants, vacuumed the rugs, and grocery shopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment