About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Volunteering in the Classroom

Today is my busy volunteering day at school.  Yesterday I read with 4 year olds for a little over an hour.  Today I spent part of the morning reading with 2nd grade students.

In the afternoon I usually read with 5th grade students, but today was a bit different.  A few of the 5th grade students are struggling with long division, so Ms Dyas had me work with four of them.  Teaching division is challenging, but I think I succeeded.  One student worked through one problem with me, then did 4 problems completely on her own and did them correctly.  She got it!  One other student was able to figure it out pretty well, but I think she needs to work on her multiplication tables a bit.  That seems to be a stumbling block for many of them - remembering their multiplication tables.   Overall, it was a great experience.

I love working in the classroom, especially with grades 1 - 3.  Why is it that I'm not interested in going back to school myself so that I can teach?  I just don't know?

I do know that volunteering in the classroom is a very rewarding experience, especially when you get to see the growth the children are experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment