About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Car Alarms

I slept pretty well last night, even though I had a hard time falling asleep. In general I haven't been sleeping very well lately.

Its cold and cloudy this morning, but its not raining, so I am going on a bike ride. I must admit, I'm not feeling very motivated, but my motivation almost always improved once I get on the bike.

Car alarms. One is going off on the street outside. Do people really pay attention to them? It seems to me that those around a car alarm when its 'going off', usually for random reasons unrelated to the alarms intended purpose, are annoyed and don't seem that interested in whether something is actually wrong or not.

I went for a short ride today. Not feeling that motivated, but I wanted to get out on the roads since they are dry. Usually, when I don't feel motivated, the ride turns into an easy exploration of new roads and neighborhoods. Such was the case this morning. I explored some neighborhoods around Monza.

This afternoon I spent a couple of hours listening to Brandon's classmates read to me. Most of the children I work with are Italian. They are working to learn English. For some of them, their parents don't speak English, so school is their only place to practice.

Brandon and I had our Thursday Italian lesson with Rosella. It didn't go as well as either of us would have liked. We both felt stressed by the end of the lesson. I've been taking Italian lessons for 1 year and I suck at Italian.

I was in the mood for pizza tonight. When Katrina arrived home I ran over to our local pizzeria for takeout (da porta via). Pizza is the fast food of Italy. I ordered three pizzas and was in and out in 10 min - and no I did not call ahead. They are made fresh on the spot and baked in a wood fire oven, but Italian pizzas are thin and bake quickly. I say three pizzas, because Brandon ordered his own for hte very first time. He found a pizza he likes (by trying Katrina's a few weeks ago). Its a marinara pizza - tomato sauce, olive oil, garlic and oregano. No cheese on the marinara, and thats the way he likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment