About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Martedi



















Last night we checked in on Brandon after he had fallen asleep. He was not in his bed, but buried in his comforter on the floor under his window.

Domani Jenny fara' una gita a Capri - Tomorrow Jenny will go on a trip to Capri.

Its another sunny morning in Vedano. Today's forecast: a couple of showers, high 24c.

Brandon has 2 1/2 days of school left. He's excited for summer. It will be fun to go on excursions with him this summer. He wants to ride bikes, go into Milan, and have friends over to play.

Katrina had her Italian lesson this morning. I decided, with much indecision and procrastination, to go for a road ride on my bike. I see more road cyclists of all ages in one day than I ever did in a whole year in Oregon. I really don't think I am exaggerating either. Via Brianza in front of our apartment seems to be part of a popular route, so I headed that way to check it out.

Wow, that was the most exciting, scenic and best ride I have been on in a very long time. My bike computer is still set for miles, so I decided to ride 10 miles one way. Since the route seems to be headed to the foothills, it was a slow uphill all the way to the 10 mile mark. I hit 10 miles right at a roundabout, so I used to turn around and head home. Wow, I was only 18km from Como! The ride home was fast and full of adrenaline. Road riding is very different here, which makes sense since driving is so different. Bikes don't stop for the few red lights that exist. They just ride up, usually on the drivers side and roll cautiously through the intersections, only stopping if they absolutely have to. If there is a long line of cars and the light turns green, they just cut into line and ride on through. Its a bit more aggressive and there doesn't seem to be all bike vs car issues like I've been reading about in Corvallis. I loved it!! Everyone knows there place and they just drive...or ride. I never felt unsafe the entire ride. Anyway, it was a great ride. I rode 32km roundtrip and I look forward to my next one tomorrow or Thursday.

One of the TV shows on around the time I am cooking is La Vita Seconda Jim. Think about it...




















I decided I needed to take some time for myself this afternoon. I just need to not do housework for a few hours. I pulled down my model ship and worked on it for about an hour.

Tonight we had gnocchi with pesto sauce and parmessan risotto for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment