About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

IKEA Day

My intent with this blog is to share our lives in Italy. I could sugarcoat everything during this experience and say that all is well and easy. I have decided not to do that. I don't plan to be negative, but I do plan to be honest about the adventures, daily life, our experiences, both good, bad and challenging.

With that said, I woke up this morning in a bad mood. It started last night and carried over to this morning. I was having my first 'unhappy' moment in Italy. I feel a bit like Brandon and Katrina have their lives in Italy all laid out for them. Brandon has school with teachers and students. Katrina has work with fellow employees and adult interaction. On top of that they both get wonderful lunches at school and at work. I am home doing things like mopping the floors, doing a daily load of laundry, cooking and grocery shopping. I eat leftovers or have to make my own lunch. I'm have not figured out what to do for myself. I've wandered the streets around our home looking through shops and neighborhoods, but I'm not sure how many times I can do that. I'm not trying to complain, heck I'm in Italy! On the other hand, I really need to find something for myself. Some activity or place I can go that is for me. I'm not sure what that is yet.

We headed out just before lunch to do some shopping for household items we are still lacking or desire. First stop was an electronics store to buy an Ipod player. We could really use some music around the house and all of ours is either on our Ipods or on our PC, which is being shipped here. Solution = Ipod player.

Next stop was also a luxury stop. We promised Brandon he could have a Wii when we arrived in Italy. We now have one.

Third stop, IKEA. We had lunch, meatballs of course, then did some shopping. Katrina wanted some red and black pillows for the couches, a red rug for the floor, a couple of black end tables for the couches, a couple of night stands for our bed and some lamps. Pictures will follow soon.

After putting together the end tables for the couches, Brandon and Katrina hooked up the Wii. Its time to go Wii bowling.



We needed a few groceries and I needed a new belt. My new jeans are too big already and they are only 3 weeks old. I decided to drive over to Auchan. I already broke a rule I set in place this morning. I shall not grocery shop on Saturday. The big supermarkets are insanely busy! It took me over an hour to shop for about 45E worth of groceries.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry Patrick. You'll find your place. Adjusting can be difficult. Have you ever played a musical instrument? Ryan is teaching himself to play guitar and loves it! It is a wonderful break from everything he does during his normal day.
    Your apartment looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you found any Train Clubs or other people who are interested in(Ferrovia di modello) Model Railroading? I know there is a language barrier there but maybe you could hook up with others that have the same interest.
    It will take time to shall we say "fit in".

    I enjoy reading you blogs so keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My I suggest you to pay a visit at the
    "Museo della Scienza e della Tecnica Leonardo da Vinci" in Milano
    and
    "Museo Ogliari dei Trasporti" in Ranco?

    Ciao!


    Franco

    ReplyDelete