About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Science Museum and the Alfama Quarter

Today was spent in Lisbon.  It looked to be a potentially rainy day, so we headed to the childrens science museum, located on the waterfront next door to the aquarium.


Brandon posed next to the earth and the moon.

Dad, these molecules are huge!


"What's happening to me?!"  That was my first thought when I saw this poster for a temporary exhibit at the science museum.



It's was hard not to notice the giant egg and sperm hanging overhead.


This exhibit was pretty interesting, and even a bit funny at times, since the English translations were all in British English.  They use some interesting words to describe things.


Brandon reaches in and his had reaches back out.


Creating a water tornado.


Electricity!



I'm not sure what to say about these two pics?


Brandon was hardly challenged by this cube puzzle


Brandon shows off some of his levitation skills


I always thought Katrina was a colorful person

I must say, this morning I was not very enthusiastic about visiting the science museum.  We have visited several childrens science museums over the years and they all seem to be the same.  They are interesting, but I always though, "you've seen one, you've seen them all".  Well, this museum surprised me.  All three of us had a lot of fun.  Many of the 'experiments' were the same as other museums, but I think the presentation and hands on activities were much better at this one.



Cool tower on the waterfront


I thought these shades were interesting.  They blend with the cube-like shapes of the exterior wall.


Brandon watched the wave pool in action

After the museum, we had lunch at Taj, and Indian restaurant.  Wow, was it good.  Then we headed into the Alfama quarter.  Katrina wanted to see this area and take some pictures.  




A trolley moves through the narrow streets of the Alfama Quarter. 

We did a lot of uphill hiking in this area of town, with its narrow, steep and winding streets.  At dark we headed back to the Metro and headed to our hotel. 

Tomorrow we will ride a train to the town of Sintra.  

No comments:

Post a Comment