About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What I'm Looking Forward To:

I was recently asked, more than once, "What are you looking forward to when you return to Oregon?"  This question came from one person who reads my blog and from two parents at Brandon's school.  I was also asked, "What will you miss the most about Italy?"  Well, I'm not ready to deal with that one yet, so today I will answer the first question:

What do I look forward to when we return home at the end of June? 

1)  Our home.  I look forward to being back in our home.  I look foward to space that is ours again.  We live in a nice area of Corvallis.

2)  Friends.  I miss our friends.  I've made many new friends here and hope to keep them as lasting friendships for years to come.  I miss guys movie night, and hanging out with friends on holidays, or just because we want to hang out. 

3)  I miss my trains.  I'm looking forward to my new train room.  I will be dismanteling my current train layout and will be building a new one in our 'guest' room.  I can't wait to begin.  I've been planning for quite awhile now.

4)  This one is bittersweet.  I look forward to convenience, yet I don't.  The US is all about convenience.  Stores are open all day and late at night - some are open 24 hours.  You can stop at a market to buy a drink or a treat or fast food.  You can do just about anything just about anytime. 

On the other hand, I love the inconvenience of things in Italy.  Italians take time out of their day to enjoy life and enjoy lunch - usually for 1 - 2 hours.  Most shops are closed.  Restaurants don't open until dinner time.  The great thing about this is the slower pace of life, and you once you become accustomed to it, its nice.  It makes you think twice about really needing something before you head out and get it...the store might be closed!

5)  I look forward to traveling in the US again.  Travel will seem so much easier now.  If I can make travel arrangements in so many foreign countries, I'll be a wiz at making them at home.  We are really looking forward to using our travel trailer again - visiting the ocean, the mountains and new places.  We want to visit Glacier National Park, the Grand Canyon, New York City, Washington DC and so much more. 

6)  Being closer to family.  Although we see them about once a year, just as we do have here in Italy, it will be nice to just give them a call and not have to think about whether they are awake or not. 

7)  I look forward to a dryer for our clothes, and a full size washing machine.  No more stiff towels, socks and underwear.  No more hanging each item.  I won't have to do a load of laundry each day. 

8)  I look forward to Mexican food - I think.  I say this because it seems to be the one food we continually talk about missing, yet on our visit back to Corvallis last February, it just didn't seem like a big deal.  Maybe I'm no longer a big fan of Mexican food.  I guess we shall see when we return.

9)  I'm looking forward to going back to work.  I'm not sure what I will be doing though?  I will do whatever meets out needs, but I do have dreams and goals.  I'd love to work for myself...or...I'd love to work as an events planner or coordinator...or...I'd love to be the next director of the da Vinci Days festival...or...I'd love to own and operate a pedicab business...or...I'd love to build and operate a model railroad museum.  I know not all of these are feasible or sustainable, but I can dream.  I think event planning is my top pick.

10)  I'm looking forward to my truck.  We only have one car here in Italy and it's actually been really good, but I am starting to miss my truck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment