About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11

Its the 9th anniversary of a day that changed most of our lives.  Honestly, I'm not real sure what to say, other than to share my thoughts. 

I believe that day was a horrific event in the lives of Americans, especially those involved directly.  I also believe that it affected people all across the world. 

I believe we live in a new world that is far different than it was the day before 9/11. 

My greatest fear is that the terrorists 'won' to some degree.  Yes, we became more vigilent.  But yes, we also became more paranoid.  It's sad that, because of a minority of radical people, we now look at strangers differently.  We now wait in much longer security lines at public events and when we travel.  We now wage wars that take the lives of our fellow countrymen and innocent citizens.  We spend billions to wage these wars while our schools crumble (another subject in itself).

My question is this:  Where is the fine line between vigilence and paranoia?  How do we live a life that is full and free when we are never sure what may happen next?  What price must we pay for freedom? 

To those that have sacrificed and are sacrificing for our freedoms, I thank you.  To those who lost loved ones or lost their lives on 9/11, I will never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment