About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

April, Where Did You Go?

Is it really May (Maggio in Italian)? Where did April go? It seems like we were just enjoying spring break in early April and now its May 1.

Today is "Labor Day" in Italy. Most children had no school yesterday. I remember one year ago we took the Metro into Milan for the first time. There was a big labor rally at Piazza di Duomo. It was peaceful, but there were quite a few police around the piazza, some in riot gear.

This year we spent the day mostly at home. This morning we visited the market in Vedano. Katrina was looking for some new sandals and a new camera bag. After the market we had lunch at Il Giardino di Giada, our neighborhood Cinese restaurant.

After dropping Katrina and Brandon off at home, I went to Auchan to find some ant bait or traps. We discovered an ant problem in the corner of the kitchen, near the cat food. I forgot that Saturday is a horrible day to visit the mall and Auchan. When they have personel directing traffic and parking, its bad. I also stopped at Decathlon, hoping that they had replenished their stock of cycling jerseys. No luck, but I did find a summer shirt. On the way home I stopped at BiciMania for no reason but to ogle all the beautiful Italian bikes and gear.

When I returned home I found Katrina at the computer and Brandon nowhere in sight. Katrina said he went outside to play. I looked for him from the balcony and found him wandering around the lawn looking like a sad lost puppy. I offered him a bike ride and he ran inside to get ready. He was funny! "Dad, I need to get all 'decked' out for the ride." He was putting on his jersey and shorts.

We ended up mountain biking around Parco di Monza for a couple of hours. He's becoming quite the trail rider, although he's still a little nervous on technical sections. We'll work up to it. I really need to do some maintainence on my mountain bike. I don't think its had anything maintainence for a few years!

When we returned home I had a short time to get showered before the opening show at Brandon's puppet theater. Katrina read the narration while Brandon worked the puppets and sets. It was great, although the ending left you wondering what will happen next. I will record the next show for the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment