About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

September 1

Its the first of September and I'm not sure what to write about.  Writing about what we do each day has to be boring for readers.  Our trips may be interesting and those unusual Italian moments are probably interesting, but overall, life in Italy is a lot like life in the US:  I grocery shop, do laundry, Katrina goes to work 5 days a week, Brandon goes to school, we eat, sleep and watch TV. 

We don't have a lot of friends here.  Making new friends can be difficult in the US, let alone in a foreign country with a foreign language.  We also find that Italians are very traditional.  They grow up with family and friends and people they do business with.  It can be difficult to penetrate those circles.  Add to the fact that we are only here for two years, and some give the impression that its not worth the effort. 

So, today I do several of those 'everyday things'.  I swept and mopped the floors, started a load of laundry, dusted, and even mopped the balcony. 

Brandon went for a walk in the park with Katrina this morning.  Actually, he rode his scooter and she walked. 

This afternoon I made some lunch for Brandon and I, then we walked to Vedano to mail some letters and postcards.  We ended up getting granite and Gelatteria Jody, then walking back home through the park.  Brandon had a little crash on some bad pavement and scraped his knee.  He is just fine, but was a little more cautious after that. 

Brandon had his Italian lesson this afternoon.  Rosella helped him with some his Italian scrapbook he was supposed to make for his summer homework.  Nothing like doing summer homework two days before school starts. 

Its a little warmer this afternoon, but not too bad.  The long term forecast doesn't seem to have any days in the 90's...mostly in the 80's. 

I made fetta raviolis with white cheese sauce for dinner, along with salad and a new bottle of wine.  Tasty, although Brandon did not enjoy it. 

Its a nice evening and I'm sitting on the balcony enjoying the final moments of light and watching the moon rise.  Today was our third day without turning on the AC, although it warmed up quite a bit around dinner time...that is why I am sitting outside.  I've also been kicked out of the office while Brandon and Katrina do some last minute birthday planning.  Tomorrow I turn 41.  That sounds more frightening than 40 ever did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment