About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Martedi

Ho visitato i vignetti di Montalcino - I visited the Montalcino vineyards.

I woke up today feeling energized. That is interesting considering I didn't sleep all that well last night. Anyway, I cleaned up the kitchen, started a load of laundry, cleaned the dining room table and made myself a bowl of sliced fruit for breakfast - 2 kiwis, 2 plums, and 1 peach.

Between November and April I lost 20lbs and have somehow - miraculously - kept it off since we have been in Italy. We eat out more than we ever did. We drink wine, eat gelato and I have been drinking a lot of Coca Cola - did I mention how much better it tastes when they use sugar and not corn syrup. Anyway, I'm now at a stage with my riding in which I would like to lose another 20lbs. Its not secret that I am a big guy. I have more than that to lose, but another 20lbs lost would make a total of 40lbs lost. My gift to myself when I reach this goal: a nice new Livestrong cycling jersey. I really don't want to miss out on all the great food Italy has to offer, so I am compromising. I plan to limit my gelato intake to one per week. I plan to limit my Coca Cola intake to restaurants only. I plan to greatly increase my intake of fruit and veggies. I plan to continue to ride my bike 3-4x a week. Ultimately, I am dreaming of a new Italian road bike. That will be my reward after I save for a year and prove to myself that I am riding regularly through next summer. I will need to buy it at 'Saldi' (sale) time, which is in July.

Off to ride my bike...

I rode 36.57km this morning, taking my usual route towards Como, but mixing it up a bit with some detours through some of the small towns along the way. I like to ride through the neighboring towns. You get a much better view and feel of the place on a bike than you do in a car.

Brandon and I each had a slice of watermelon when I returned home, and before heading out for a ride with each other in Parco di Monza. Brandon was so excited to show me something when I returned home. He has been putting all the books he has read so far on the 2nd highest shelf in his room. He showed me his latest addition, the first Harry Potter book. He is so excited and really enjoyed it. Now we can all sit down one night this week and watch the first movie. Our rule is, read the book, then watch the movie.

Brandon and I went for a bike ride in Parco di Monza, mostly around the Autodromo. We watched several Porshe's practicing from different vantage points within the track.

I spent some time working on details for our upcoming road trip while Brandon had his Italian lesson. He and Rosella went to the mall to learn new Italian words and make him use some Italian in the stores. I swept and mopped the apartment while they were gone.

My lesson was a bit shorter today because Brandon and Rosella were gone for a bit longer than usual. The lesson went pretty well. I've been practicing switching between present and past tense. Its a bit confusing, but the more I do it the more I am doing it correctly.

We had roast chicken with polenta and red wine for dinner this evening.

After dinner Brandon did some test flights of his giant paper airplane. He's been working on it for two days. We 'test' flew it off of our balcony. It sort of glided - almost straight down - to the grass. He is currently repairing and tweaking it a bit. I think there will be more test flights this evening.

Brandon and Katrina walked across the street for some gelato this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment