About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Go Broncos!

I just completed mosaic #3 - Denver Broncos.  I started this project around Christmas time.  I worked on it, set it aside, worked on it, and set it aside.  Finally, this past week I completed the project and painted the frame.


I started the project by working on the Bronco, since it is the main focal point.  Once this was done, I started work on the background and Bronco's orange mane.  


The letters proved to be the biggest difficulty for me.  It took a lot of practice to get the glass pieces cut properly.  You can read it, thats what counts!


Once again, I used Tiffany mosaic glass, as thats about the only thing I can get around here.  

I really like how the Bronco logo turned out.  I also like the colors, especially the deep blue.  When I grouted this project, I made a huge mistake.  I used white grout.  This really blended the white together, but gave all the blue background a 'fractured' look.  Only afterwards, when I was desperate to fix it, did I read some basic rules for grout colors in one of my books.  I decided to experiment and see if I could mix a batch of grey grout and overlay it on the white.  It worked.  Now the Bronco looks a little fractured, but I like the look, and the background is not detracting from the Bronco as a focal point.


Go Broncos!

No comments:

Post a Comment