About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Cancer

I seem to be writing about random ideas that are on my mind lately. For those who enjoy reading about daily life in Italy, don't worry, I will continue to write about that as well.

We just made a donation to the St. Baldrick's Foundation. Our good friend Jack has been shaving his head to raise money to fight childhood cancer for many years now.

I think it is safe to say that most of us, if not all of us, have been affected by cancer. Most of us have friends, relatives, coworkers or even acquiantences who have fought cancer. Some have won the fight and many have lost it.

I think 'hate' is a very powerful word and have learned to use it carefully. I hate cancer. My first real experience with cancer was my grandfathers death. He died of cancer. Since then I have had other relatives and friends die from cancer. I also have a couple friends who are dealing with it now. Honestly, it scares me more than any other disease.

I've almost always been a quiet guy, not really debating or sharing my views about politics, life, values, etc. In the past year I have begun to feel differently about that. Cancer is one subject in which I feel I must do something.

So, I am speaking out and doing my part with hope that my generation, or at least Brandon's generation, will find a cure for cancer.

If you have been touched by cancer or simply want to help in the fight, please take some time to see how you can help out. I have listed two organizations that I support. Feel free to look at them, or find other organizations that you feel are supporting the fight.

St Baldrick's Foundation

LiveStrong Foundation

Here are some inspiring videos:








One of my favorite songs:



We can all help. Whether you donate to help fund research or you are there to support a loved one, it all matters...

"Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. We'll win this fight... so we Livestrong"

No comments:

Post a Comment