About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Back to Daily Italian Life

We woke up back to reality this morning. I know, I know, we are living in Italy! Yes, but as many people who are Expats know, its not all pizzas, piazzas, wine, canals, and Roman ruins. Daily life is pretty much like most other places - laundry, house cleaning, work, school, etc. Don't get me wrong. Life is good. Its just that everyday in Italy is not a vacation. d

Todays forecast: mostly sunny, 31c.

Italian phrase: Gli antichi romani amavano le terme - The ancient Romans loved the thermal baths.

Anyway, this morning we had a scheduled conference with Mrs Williams, Brandon's teacher. She just wanted to touch base with us about how Brandon is doing, how he is settling in at school and in daily Italian life. Its a lot for an adult to understand and handle. For an 8 year old, it can be quite overwhelming at times.

After the meeting Katrina left for work a bit earlier today. There are some managers from HP Corvallis flying in today for meetings. She is very busy this week. She will be home late this evening...business dinner in Milano.

I walked over to the bank to setup auto pay for our phone bill. I also pulled out more cash from the ATM. The exhange rate is hurting us. It was e1.00 to $1.31 when we arrived in Italy. Its been going up slowly ever since. Today it was at $1.42. Ouch.

The afternoon was busy with laundry, working on my blog, household chores and grocery shopping.

I walked over to pickup Brandon at 3:20pm. We stopped at Parco di Matteotti on the way home. The park has a great seesaw with giant industrial springs under it. It makes riding on the seesaw with a child much easier for the adult.

I spent a long time updating my afternoon updating day two of our Venice trip. Since Katrina is going to Milan for a business dinner, Brandon and I were on our own for the evening. We made gnocchi with pesto sauce for dinner. Oh, and lemonade thanks to Jen!

Brandon and I walked over the the Gelateria this evening to pickup some cookies and say hi to our favorite Italian shopkeeper.

I spent the rest of the evening working on my blog. Time for bed.

Total gelato count for 6 weeks + 2 days: 44
Total wine count for 6 weeks + 2 days: 6 bottles

No comments:

Post a Comment