About Me

I am a 45 year husband and dad, currently adjusting to life back in the United States after living in Italy for a little over two years. I love spending time with my family, cycling, model railroading, mosaics and watching TV and movies.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunny Sunday in Vedano al Lambro

I woke up pretty early this morning...at 6am. Not sure why? I just woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. The forecast is a hot one: partly sunny and pleasant, high of 31c = 92 degrees!

I made a big mistake this morning. I made the assumption that I could grocery shop. No, no, no, no, no and no. That's a no for each supermarket I was unable to shop at because they were closed. Even the big supermarkets are only open on certain Sundays, but not every Sunday. Apparently they all choose the same Sunday's to be open and closed. Hmmmm. Where is the spirit of competition? If one store is closed on a particular Sunday, another one should be open. I caught my thoughts mid stream. Ideas that we should be able to buy all that we want whenever we want are truly American. I'm not in the United States. I guess we will get creative with what little food we have in the kitchen until I can shop on Monday.

It is hot. We ran the air conditioning for the first time today. For lunch we walked over to a bar near the gelateria! It was closed, so we had gelato for lunch. Now that's a healthy meal.

Brandon was invited to a birthday party today. It was for a classmate, Giovanna. She held her party at a local park. They had aa face painting lady who also led some games. Most of the party was playtime with friends. It sounds like he had a great time. Apparently it was very hot though.

The temp this afternoon is 34c, that's 98 degrees. No wonder we feel hot. We have two air conditioners. One in the living room and one in our bedroom. I had to turn off the AC in our room so that I could run a load of laundry. As I've mentioned before, we have power restrictions here in Italy. You can only run 1-2 major appliances at one time or you will pop the main breaker, which is all the way in the basement of the building. I wasn't sure if I could even run one AC unit and the washer, but I decided to gamble and turn off only one AC unit. So far its working.

We spent the evening watching TV and staying cool in the AC.




I spotted these two cars in Pavia yesterday - an old Fiat (Jack, Katrina really wants your car!) and a Porshe.

5 week gelato count: 33 gelatos
5 week wine count: 6 bottles

No comments:

Post a Comment